We’re pleased to announce our new partnership with Raven Sticks, the first hockey sticks designed specifically for young players (under 100 lbs). The Raven philosophy is simple- All Hockey Players should be using a stick with a Flex Rating that equals less than 50% of your their body weight!
With this in mind they developed a simplified, color coded line of sticks that will give your young player the proper flex from the onset. As your player grows you simply move up to the next flex. Choosing the proper flex will allow your player to learn to shoot properly & LET IT FLY!
Which Raven Stick Should You Choose? Check Out This Flex Calculator
Raven Hockey Flex Calculator
The Superfeet Carbon Pro Hockey insoles provide up to 11% better acceleration on the ice, unrivaled edge control and exceptional energy transfer. Designed for tight turns, crossovers, quick starts and hard stops, these Superfeet footbeds are a game changer on the ice.
Here are some of the highlights and benefits of Superfeet:
- On-Ice Benefits: The plastic Flybridge reinforcement through the heel and mid-foot loads and channels energy when the skater puts pressure on the bottom of his/her foot. This energy transfer is much smoother with a reinforced insole and creates an 11% improvement in acceleration on the ice. The carbon fiber in the heel of the Flybridge also creates added stability and improves the attack angle for the skater- which allows for quick starts, crisp stops and tight turns.
- Medical Benefits: The added support and stability that the Superfeet insole provides has contributed to health benefits in the feet, ankles, knees, back and spine. The improved stability in the footbed aligns the ankles and knees of the skater, which in turn takes stress off of other parts of the body including the knees, back and spine. We have also seen huge benefits for individuals with foot problems as well, including plantar fasciitis, high arch, low arch, flat feet, etc. The support provided takes tremendous stress off of the skaters foot in these situations.
- Equipment Benefits: The venting system in the Superfeet insoles improves air circulation and drainage, which helps the hockey skate boot from breaking down and diminishes the accumulation of rust on a players steel through normal wear-and-tear. The footbeds also reduce friction between the foot and the boot because the footbed secures the players foot in a more stable position, in turn reducing pressure and wear-and-tear on the skate.
All in all, the Superfeet Carbon Pro Hockey insoles provide an incredible improvement over the flimsy footbeds that come in the majority of hockey skates on the market today. Typical footbeds consist of not much more than a single layer of foam padding, with no structural support. These insoles help improve on-ice performance, medical ailments and equipment issues.
As we learn more about head injuries and contact sports, the process of choosing the proper hockey helmet becomes more and more important. While the technical engineering of hockey helmets continues to advance, the bottom line is it’s not a “one size fits all” concept. There is more to purchasing the proper helmet than the “nuts and bolts”. At Sports Etc. we like to highlight a few important pieces to focus on when fitting a hockey helmet. Most notably- proper fit, protection level and life span.
Proper Fit: A proper fitting helmet should fit snugly on the player’s head. Any sign of a helmet rattling around, or fitting too loosely can be a major issue. Hockey players can take a variety of impacts, and a helmet that does not sit tightly on the head can lead to a variety of dangerous scenarios. Mainly, the helmet being dislodged from the player completely.
One of the commonly overlooked aspects of fitting a helmet, is how the cage fits onto the helmet itself. Many helmets are sold in “combo” form, with a cage already attached, but it is important to know that sometimes cage size and helmet size are not always consistent with each other. That is why we recommend buying the cage and helmet separately, to ensure the absolute best fit. The cage should sit right on the player’s chin, and should be firmly locked into the “J-Clips” on the side of the helmet. This ensures that the cage will not be driven into the players chin upon impact- which is a common factor in concussions.
Protection Level: Hockey hits come in all types, sizes and intensities. Often times, it is not necessarily the biggest hit on the ice that causes injury, but the most “awkward” hits. Different types of protection levels are essential in preventing concussions. Most helmets on the market help to protect against linear or direct impacts to the head. The difference between the cheaper and more expensive helmets though, is the quality of the foam used within the helmet. The best type of foam to look for is layered EPP or Poron. Most helmets in the $120+ range contain these materials. Low-end helmets often contain one layer of standard VN foam, which loses protective capability over time as it hardens.
The one aspect that differentiates the BEST helmets, from the lower-end helmets, is a helmets protection level against rotational impacts. Most helmets can withstand a linear or direct impact, and can sufficiently protect the player, but the rotational impacts typically have a more devastating impact on a players head. There are numerous helmets on the market that take this into account- most notably the Bauer Re-Akt helmet and the CCM 3DS helmet. These technologies help the head move independent of the helmet, so the awkward angle impacts, which cause the head to snap around with the helmet are mitigated.
Life Span: Another critical and overlooked area in preventing concussions, is paying attention to the “life span” of a helmet. Routinely, a player can wear the same size helmet for years and years. A lot of times, a youth hockey player can stay in that same size helmet until adulthood. Just like anything that gets worn down over time, a completely. The important piece to look at, is the foam within the helmet. The foam is designed to take repeated impacts, but over time as the impacts increase, and sweat is absorbed and dried out into the material- the foam hardens. As the player takes an impact, this hardened foam is driving into the head, which can cause major head trauma. At Sports Etc. we suggest changing out your helmet every 3 years. hockey helmet needs to be re-examined and at times replaced
Check out more information on 2 of the newest, next generation helmets available now!
THE Annual Goalie Sale took place on June 20-21 2017! We wanted to thank everyone who came out to make this sale the fun, successful event it was. Folks from across the State and across the Northeast turned out to grab a great deal on goalie gear from Vaughn, CCM, Brian’s and more! Please enjoy these photos from the event and we look forward to seeing you at our next big event!
The new CCM Tacks 710 hockey helmet, featuring the new I.Q.SHION foam liner, may just be the most comfortable helmet available. But that’s only part of the story. Utilizing all of CCM’s top technologies like D30 Lite Smart Material and R.E.D. System, the Tacks 710 helmet offers top notch protection. Finally, with its pro preferred look, it passes the all important “mirror test”. Strongly recommended for anyone, any age, playing at any level!
CCM Tacks 710 Helmet is available for purchase on 5/26/17
The Bauer Vapor 1x goalie skate has arrived. The new skate from Bauer is lightweight, mobile and protective—the VAPOR 1X goal skate is perfect for goalies who are quick on their feet. Designed to bring a new level of agility to the game’s most dynamic goalies. Here are some of the highlights:
- The 3mm extended facing allows the goalie to stay in attack position while adding more wrap for better overall fit.
- The Dynamic Tongue Flex molded insert gives goalies an edge by acting like a spring to move them forward into their stance.
- The Curv™Composite Quarter and Composite Outsole on the VAPOR 1X goal skate reduces weight, increasing stiffness for better weight transfer and increased quickness.
- The Vertexx Edge holder is a goalie-specific holder that eliminates the cowling and adds extra height, giving it a superior attack angle. The added advantage of a removable steel that’s ready in an instant means quick goalies just got quicker.
Bauer Vapor Traditional Fit– The Vapor fit on the goalie skate is similar to that of the original Bauer Reactor skate. Relaxed/traditional fit- good for normal to slightly full feet.
Sports Etc Performance To Value Rating– 10 out of 10– One of the best skates available for elite level goalies looking for a performance skate. The most innovative goalie skate on the market.
Check out the complete line of Bauer Vapor Goalie Skates Available NOW!
The major highlights of the Bauer Re-Akt 200 helmet include:
- Suspend-Tech NG: liner system with textured XRD Foam. This allows the liner to move independently from the inner foam of the helmet to manage all types of hockey impacts.
- FIT PLATE: This is a customizable occipital lock with recovery alloy technology that allows for a truly custom fit with added comfort around the back of the head. Heat formable.
- VTX Technology: The exceptionally lightweight foam absorbs high and low energy impacts. The integrated XRD and VTX foams create some of the most innovative and comfortable helmet padding to date.
Sports Etc Performance To Value Rating- 9 out of 10. One of the most protective helmets on the market. Innovative technology, which combines protection against rotational and direct impacts with high density foams, and the suspend-tech liner. Extremely comfortable fit, with a very secure fit around the back of the head.
JetSpeed FT1 is the first ever one-piece boot frame skate in the JetSpeed family. Featuring L1TEFRAME 360 technology, the JetSpeed FT1 is a highly-refined skate design with leading edge engineering to help maximize a player’s speed on the ice. Its ultra-lightweight structure makes it the lightest pro caliber JetSpeed skate to date. The monocoque construction gives players two critical benefits: A complete 360° fit around and underneath the foot for a customized fit, and a seamless direct energy transfer platform that helps generate more speed with every stride.
JetSpeed FT1 is scheduled to arrive April 28, 2017.
The next generation of the CCM E-Flex goalie gear is here! While staying true to the core of the Lefevre legacy, the E-Flex 3 has added many features to keep them “up to the minute” for the modern goalie game
The major improvements on the leg pads are:
- Speed Skin- CCM’s proprietary synthetic material increases the slide and glide on the pads and allows for greater power pushes
- Optimized Weight Distribution (OWD) Core- A slimmer thigh rise and the center of mass located below the knee makes this the lightest, most balance E-Flex pad ever
- QK5 Strapping- Optimized to allow greater velocity closing the 5-hole while allowing maximum rotation in the leg channel
On the new catch glove the major upgrades include-
- D30 Smart Material In Palm- Allows the palm to be thinner while increasing protection and dampening vibration
- Improved Double T Pocket- This massive double t-pocket allows for greater visibility of the puck while it’s in the pocket
On the new blocker the major upgrades include-
- D30 Smart Material In The Index Finger- Greater protection and vibration dampening in this sensitive, high impact area
- More Versatile Adjustable Cuff- Allows for a greater range of motion
Come check out the CCM E-Flex III goalie gear now! Looking to create your own custom setup? Click here