The CCM protective equipment continues to be the lightest, strongest and most comfortable hockey equipment on the market today. Similar to the way Bauer excels in the skate category, CCM holds steady as the industry leader in shoulder pad, elbow pad, shin pad and hockey pant sales.
Much of the CCM protective equipment is modeled after the legendary Jofa Hockey brand, which was acquired by Reebok/CCM. Jofa was highly popular throughout the NHL for many years, and their style of equipment lives on today through the CCM brand.
The CCM Crazylight U Foam technology creates an extremely light feel to their equipment, while the water resistant material doesn’t retain sweat, which can weigh a player down during a hockey game. While many different brands produce shoulder pads and elbow pads that can be unnecessarily bulky and large, CCM understands that hockey is a game of speed. The reduction in weight and size of their product is ideal for the best on-ice performance. All of this is done without compromising the protection of the player.
When it comes to choosing the best protective hockey equipment based on comfort and protection, CCM is the consensus pick from the staff at Sports Etc.
For 35 years we have been working with goalies and goalie manufacturers to bring the best selection of quality gear to our customer base. On occasion we like to sit down with our best suppliers to come up with gear that can’t be purchased out of a catalog. This allows us to present to our goalies something unique that will give them features and advantages that would otherwise not be available without doing their own custom design. For the 2015 season we are presenting our best selection of exclusive gear ever, including the pro goalie inspired Vaughn Vision pro catcher, the throwback Brian’s G-Netik B-Star gear and the CCM Extreme Flex II leg pads featuring an exclusive graphic and a double external break not found in the catalog version. To check out these and other unique exclusives check out our Goalie Exclusives Page!
The Vapor 1X skate from Bauer has officially hit the market, and a few of the Sports Etc guys were lucky enough to have the chance to try them out. Bauer has made numerous changes to the Vapor skate line, but these were a few major takeaways from the staff after their time on the ice:
- New and Improved Tongue: The tongue on the Vapor 1X skate has undergone some positive changes from its APX 2 counterpart. The APX 2 had a 52 oz. felt tongue, which we felt limited some of the forward lean that is needed to help generate a powerful stride on the ice. The new tongue has been thinned out and a Curv composite insert has been added. This makes the tongue more similar to that of the Bauer Supreme MX3. This new and improved tongue allows for a better forward lean, as well as a more moldable material for a more comfortable fit.
- LS4 Steel: The 1X features the brand new LS4 steel, which is 3mm higher than any other steel from Bauer. The higher pitch to the blade allows for a tighter and quicker turning radius.
- Heat Moldable Footbeds: The all new heat moldable footbeds are exclusive to Bauer and the Vapor 1X skate. This makes the 1X skate truly 100% heat moldable as the “Bauer Speed Plates” mold to the bottom of your foot, while the Curv composite boot molds around the foot itself.
Bauer continues to push the limit with changes in the hockey industry and they are consistently coming up with innovative ways to change the performance of their hockey skates. We can confidently say that the Bauer Vapor 1X skate is an improvement from the APX2, and we feel strongly that customers will enjoy the added benefits of this high performance skate.
When it comes to custom goalie pads, nobody does it better than Vaughn Hockey. Recently, Vaughn gave us a behind the scenes peek at the manufacturing process for one of our goalie customers, Casen Janko of Matignon High School.
The process begins with the custom design from the goalie themselves. In this case, Casen went with a vintage cali-tan set up, which mimics the original leather look that we sold back in the 1980s!
Vaughn brings the pad to life by cutting the outside design of the pad wrap, and hand-stuffing it with high density foams. The goalie pad is tightly sewn back together to give a rigid and firm shape for unmatched durability.
The hand-made process allows for an extreme attention to detail, which creates consistently high quality goalie pads. When we visited Vaughn Custom Sports in Oxford, Michigan it became clear that owner Mike Vaughn cuts no corners when it comes to making goalie equipment. He routinely checks the quality of the materials that go into his goalie pads himself in his personal workshop. Trust us- we’ve seen it firsthand; the same effort and attention to detail goes into making a pad for Tuukka Rask or Jonathan Quick, as it does for any customer off the street.
The resulting product for customers like Casen Janko is the reason that goalie customers keep coming back to Vaughn, and it is the reason why nearly 77% of NHL goalies are wearing at least 1 Vaughn goalie product.
Alright, so Brian’s has clearly made some major improvements since the original Brian’s “B-Star” goalie pads…but that doesn’t mean you can’t use their awesome vintage graphic. With the help of the custom experts at Brian’s, we were able to design these goalie pads, which remind us of the same ones we sold back in the 80s!
These leg pads are now available off the shelf at Sports Etc. in White/Black, White/Navy, White/Red and White/Maroon. We have been trying to make custom goalie pads more readily accessible to our customers. Why wait the obligatory 10 to 12 weeks for custom goalie set ups, when you can grab them right off the shelf?
Get yours in store today or visit us at www.hockeyetc.com!
Goalies are you ready for the new CCM E-Flex II gear? Well it’s here at Sports Etc and only at Sports Etc! The 860 Senior and Intermediate and 760 Junior series are available in this unique custom graphic plus the exclusive double external break on the leg pads! The CCM E-Flex II line is CCM-Reebok’s traditionally influenced gear featuring the classic 3 knee roll design for great flexibility along with a great seal on the ice that the modern hybrid style goalie craves. Check out the new E-Flex II gear with our exclusive graphics today!
With seemingly endless stick curves to choose from, it can be a confusing and overwhelming process to find the perfect pattern that suits your style of play. One way to simplify your selection process is by looking at the 3 most popular stick patterns on the market. Each hockey manufacturer makes their own version of these 3 curves:
- Bauer P88 (Kane), CCM P40 (Hossa/MacKinnon), Easton E3 (Hall), Warrior W88 (Zetterberg)
This “mid” curve has become the most popular pattern on the market today. It has a perfect blend of attributes, and is not drastically catered to any specific style of play. Whether you are a puck moving defensemen, or a goal scorer, this has proven to be increasingly popular among players as a true “hybrid” pattern.
- Bauer P92 (Ovechkin), CCM P29 (Crosby), Easton E36, Warrior W03 (Backstrom)
This “mid-toe” curve is a perfect stickhandlers pattern. The slightly exaggerated curve allows for better puck control in tight spaces. The open face is beneficial for snap shots, or when the player needs to elevate the puck quickly.
- Bauer P28 (Giroux), CCM P28 (McDavid), Easton E28, Warrior W28 (Yakupov)
This “toe” curve is a true shooters pattern and is probably the fastest growing pattern on the market today, especially among forwards. The major hook at the toe allows for accurate shooting and the aggressive lie is ideal for stickhandling in tight spaces.
(Left: Mid Curve, Middle: Mid-Toe Curve, Right: Toe Curve)
Ever wonder what it’s like using the same equipment as your favorite NHL goalie? Well now you can experience it, with the brand new Vaughn Vision Goalie Catcher, found exclusively at Sports Etc.
On a recent visit to Vaughn in Oxford, Michigan, we were able to try on a game ready goalie glove for Tuukka Rask. The incredible feel of the glove got us thinking– why not design a Pro Spec catcher that we can sell at the retail level? The glove we customized is designed to mimic and capture all of the aspects that are important to NHL goalies.
Some of the highlights include:
- Custom “Game Ready” Palm- The break in the glove falls perfectly in the middle of the hand for an incredibly easy close. Ready for game action right off the shelf.
- Sure Grip Liner- The liner adds durability to the palm of the glove, and also prevents slippage of the hand from sweat.
- Extended “Deep” Pocket- The catch area is extended to provide a “deep pocket” for better puck control.
- Two-Piece Cuff- The split cuff allows for a flexible and comfortable fit around the wrist.
Bauer Hockey’s most researched, designed, and tested hockey skate in their long history, the Vapor 1X, arrived on April 24, 2015. While the skate is still classic Bauer Vapor there have been some significant changes such as:
- The 1X is built off Bauer’s 3D Lasted Composite upper, but we are introduced to a flashier version of an Aluminized Curv® Composite material.
- The 37.5™ liner technology dry up to 5 times faster than similar fabrics without it. 37.5™ helps to regulate your core body temperature, keeping your foot drier for longer, which enhances control and performance.
- Tuuk Lightspeed Edge holder complemented by an elite grade stainless steel Tuuk LS4 runner, which adds another three millimeters in profile height. This further increases the angle of attack, expands on your profiling options, increases the longevity of the steel with considerably more sharpenings, not to mention the performance enhancements of energy transfer and strong edges offered by such premium steel.
- Bauer’s SPEED PLATE™ features a recovery alloy technology, which basically means that this footbed is customized to your foot. It essentially marries the shape of your foot to the skate and puts the center of pressure more over the blade, which allows for better balance, control and performance.
When it comes to goalie pad customization, no goalie company does it better than Brian’s. Brian’s offers a truly 100% customizable goalie pad, which is unlike any other company on the market today.
This year we have been lucky enough to take part in some of the cooler customizations that we have ever done. All the completely original ideas were from our customers, and Brian’s was able to bring them to life with remarkable attention to detail. No design is too difficult for the crew at Brian’s, and they embrace any design challenge. Below are some of the pads we did this season: